Dan O’Brien on (105.9) WAXY 106 Miami | February 8, 1994

Courtesy of our friends at the Aircheck Traders board on our sister site, RadioInsight.com, comes our first look at legendary South Florida Oldies station WAXY 106.

waxy106.png

While this is more of a straight-ahead Oldies format instead of personality oriented show, there is one important technical observation I’d like to make, that I never hear anyone mention. Back in the mid-90s, as stations began converting from traditional media to hard drive based systems, there was a period of time where some stations had made a large investment in CD cart machines, and other digital, non-computer hardware. These stations, in my opinion, had an audio crispness on the air that has never been able to be duplicated. Engineers have tried, with more processing, but stations just can not compare CD audio that’s close to the original masters in sound quality with 64k encoded compressed files. Listen to WAXY here, and notice how incredible the Oldies sound, even reproduced from the original tape recording.

Steve West

Airchexx Webmaster, Radio DJ, News Anchor, producer and resident geek.

You may also like...

8 Responses

1. Jeffery James says:

Wow! That was Charlie Van Dyke imaging WAXY. I must be getting old or have listened to KRTH and KHJ way too long……………..Jeffery James

2. Steven Green says:

I forgot that WAXY was still playing oldies in 1994. A few years later they became Big 106 playing newer stuff (was it a Jammin’ format?).

The WAXY call laters were taken by 790 AM which was WMRZ and in the 1960-1970′s WFUN.

Oldies moved to 102.7 WMXJ-Majic.

3. Pat says:

Feb. 8, ’94 – yours truly’s birthday. Memories…..

WAXY flipped to all 70′s BIG 106 FM late-August/early September, 1994. If I remember correctly, they did not blow any of their jocks following the flip.

Majic 102.7 had/has been oldies/classic hits/”Classic Top 40″ is since around 1987, in direct competiton with WAXY from that time until the flip.

After WAXY flipped, I also believe that the package you hear on this WAXY aircheck was adopted by Majic about a year later, along with the man (CVD) as the imaging voice.

BIG eventually morphed into 70s/80s, then outright Classic Rock, where it is today as BIG 105-9.

RIP WAXY 106. You are and will continue to be missed.

4. Scooter Livingston says:

When WAXY went all-oldies (after a disastrous turn as MIX 106) in early ’92, they stunted with a “All Louie Louie” weekend where they played almest every version of “Louie Louie” known to mankind. I filled up a C-60, including the funny liners from Rick Shaw such as “All Louie All The Time!” “Nobody But Louie Himself Plays This Much Louie!” combined with a fast shotgun “WAXY 106!” jingle. I still listen to the tape from time to time…much to the chagrin of my wife, who calls it “The Tape From Hell.”

5. I was actually the last jock to ever utter the words WAXY 106! I signed the station off the air at midnight for the last time from the news studio and in my peripheral vision was watching the engineer take the WAXY placards off the studio mics and replace them with BIG 106. We went to dead air for 2 minutes and signed back on as WBGG Ft. Lauderdale, Miami the New Big 106FM.

I worked at WAXY/WBGG for a couple of years, mostly over nights and weekends but it was the most fun in radio I had ever had, and I was coming from a stint at Power 96 doing CHR/URBAN a few years before.

The station when it was WAXY had a lot of automation, in fact there were times that no jocks were on the air at all even in the mid days while we had staff meetings. There was a huge advantage to the automation however, I could pull up a request with only a few keystrokes from my left had before I got off the phone with a caller and we had a lot of call in your request weekends! I went to work one day and only had 10 songs to fill the entire hour, had to come up with 11 songs from the phones!

The playlist was lean, the only issue I always had with my PD (Dave Denver), there were so many songs to choose from but he stuck with about 125 songs that “tested well”, did the same thing when he programmed Big, in fact I played Fleetwood Mac every hour for 4 hours one weekend afternoon!

This was a really cool station, a great staff and a great experience especially being mentored by Rick Shaw.

The comment about our jocks not being bumped is not 100% true, Rick Shaw left with the format change, Greg Budell and Riley Burke also left mornings as Stern was in the making and Linda Energy took on mid-days, Tom Hopkins and myself both stayed on as did Tyler who passed away from cancer a few years later.

Miguel

6. Michael says:

does anyone have the shootgun jingle that WAXY use to play?

7. arnie zlotnik says:

does anyone havea clean dub of these johnny mann jingles,also wmxj’s,thank you!

8. PATRICK N. says:

MY MOM WON AN AMC CONCORD 1 OF 4 CARS GIVEN AWAY BACK IN THE 1980′S FROM YOU GUYS. GREAT TO SEE YOU ARE STILL AROUND.WE HAVE MOVED TO NORTH FL. BUT HAD THE CAR FOR MANY YEARS AND DIDNT REMOVE THE PAINT SCEEM THE WHOLE TIME WE OWNED IT.

THANKS PATRICK