Format Change: 96.1 flips from WKJI “K-JOY” Center Moriches, NY Simulcast to WJVC “My Country 96.1”

Its been a long-awaited event in this part of New York, where Country actually can be heard on FM, but as was announced on our sister site, radioinsight.com, JVC broadcasting launched a new Country format on 96.1 at the stroke of Midnight, January 19, 2011. The change had been slated for 12pm on January 18th, but bad weather forced the flip to be pushed back by 12 hours.

The change was very low key. No announcements beforehand on-air. Simply the normal “John Tesh Radio Show” until just before Midnight, a 5 minute stop-set, a final ‘Legal ID’ as WKJI, then a full :30 seconds of silence. Country then began as a Legal ID of WJVC, and combined sweeper announcing one thousand songs in a row, commercial free.

Here is the flip, including the last half hour or so of the K-JOY AC format, the pause, and the first :45 minutes or so of the new Country format, all scoped down to a total of 16:50.

There was much signal interference due to a temperature inversion at the Airchexx studios, so this is a very noisy recording, but for those who missed it, enjoy!

1. Hallelujah !!!

It’s about time we got a country station on LI. I thought I was hearing things or something happened to my radio this morning when I heard country music on 96.1. Please make sure you play Miranda Lambert. She is a great singer songwriter and deserves the airtime, not to mention that her drummer is from Long Island 🙂

• thank you for switching over, so many people on L.I. love country…this should be a big hit. I know our country band 12 gauge which is playing on 2/11 at the pleasant Inn in st james does really well just playing country songs. good luck you’ll do great

2. Will the new Country radio station 96.1 ever reach into Nassau County?

3. Michele: We can’t even get it in the Huntington area! So unfair!

4. IT GREAT TO HAVE A COUNTRY MUSIC STATION BACK ON LI KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB CAN’ T WAIT FOR YOU TO HAVE A FACEBOOK PAGE AND SOME CONTESTS ALSO HOPE SOME MORE CLUBS GO COUNTRY ASLO SO WE HAVE MORE PLACES TO DANCE

5. in farmingdale we get a jumbled spanish and country mixed. its actually spountry.
    i wish they could send the signal a little more west so nassau county could hear it. i listen on my computer. great job
    love the country music!!!!

6. Living in Suffolk isn’t any better. I live in Hauppauge and get horrible reception. I streamed the station this morning, only to hear several songs REPEATED within 3 hours…that is ridiculous. Just because Long Island is starved for a country station doesn’t mean we have no standards. I can’t imagine how they think this station will be successful with a crappy signal and repetitive playlists.

7. IT’S ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME! LONG LIVE COUNTRY IN LONG ISLAND!

8. We were so excited coutry music finally returned to Long Island, only to find out we can’t even get it in Huntington! What’s the point of broadcasting over such a limited area? If you really want listener support and to succeed, you’d better think about expanding your coverage a.s.a.p.! And please don’t play the same stuff over and over again. That’s partly what did in the last station. No new music and no classics. If you are going to play country music, play it all!

9. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN FINALLY TRAVEL IN MY CAR AND LISTEN TO MY FAVORITE SONGS. THANK YOU AND GOOD LUCK!

10. I was so happy to hear that a country station was finally re-coming back……then so disappointed because I cannot get the station in Wantagh 🙁

11. I live in Bay Shore & I don’t get the station here. When I e-mailed the radio station, their reply was, “Well, I live in Plainview, & I get it there.” You would think they’d try to fix it instead of placating me. Whatever.

12. So Happy Country is back in suffolk
    I get great reception, husband is not happy all radios in house change to 96.1
    Keep up the good job by playing new and some classic songs

13. I agree with everyone else, it is awesome to finally have a great country station, but it will not last long because none of us can actually listen to it!! I live in Suffolk so I don’t understand why it is all full of static when I can get perfect reception from radio stations broadcasting from Manhattan!!

14. when can we get a bumper sticker ?? – love da music

15. Not only am I glad we have a country station back but Candy Roth and Fathead are back in the morning as well! How awesome! My only complaint is that it needs to broadcast further west on the Island!

16. Country is back! Just wish it was a stronger signal.

17. I was so happy when I first heard about it, then I checked into the station specs… Its the lowest powered station allowed by FCC guidelines. Tower is in Manorville. I work next door to their offices in Ronkonkoma and cant get the station.

18. thanks for nothing …cant hear it where i am in suffolk….when you get all of long island maybe ill listen to it.

19. This is so wonderful to have a country station that represents us and we are able to listen to. You are on every radio in my life. Thank you Throwing Sirius out. Yayyyyyy

• I can’t hear a thing except distorted latin music. This is BS!

20. it’s good to here country music back on Suffolk County L.I.; N.Y. last country station was WMJC & old am station years ago WPAC 1580 you have to listen to WWYZ in CT. or WPUR in Atlantic City N.J. area !

21. Who is the voice of WJVC?

• The voice of WJVC is Tom Pagnotti…