1470 WSAC / Fort Knox

Composite: 1470 WSAC Fort Knox, KY – “Truckin’ 72”

I know virtually nothing about WSAC, other than it was on a low-powered ‘graveyard frequency’. According to this tribute site which credits Paul Urbahns with photos and some old survey sheets (not included in this presentation because we don’t have permission… yet), WSAC went on the air on November 16, 1955 at a power of 1,000 watts. An FM station was added later, and is mentioned on this aircheck as an AM/FM simulcast.

Aside from the above mentioned tribute site, there’s virtually no information available on WSAC. I have reason to believe that the station is airing religious broadcasting, as there are two references to EWTN (Catholic Radio) and 1470 Ft. Knox via a Google search, but I can not verify any of that. Perhaps one of our site visitors has more info that I.

This particular aircheck, I think, originally came to me via Tom Prestigiacomo, whom I worked with at WMC-FM in 2005. It sounds like a composite made for one of the trade publications in then in print in 1972. The competition in the area Top 40 format would have been WKLO or WAKY back then. It sounds like WSAC made a concerted effort to be a serious player in the format, but obviously never had much of a chance.

This has an introduction, then takes the listener through an entire broadcast day. At the end of this recording, the announcer exhorts listeners to “Keep on Truckin'”.

1. This aircheck is a little funky but I’ve heard alot worse……I thought the Looney Tunes intro at the 50 second mark was cute.

2. What I can remember about 1470 was that around 1984 the station moved to Bullitt Co. Ky. and became WBUL (Top 40). Then was sold to Zarris around 1990 and simulcasted WZCC 1570 New Albany,Indiana (Christian Music and Talk).In 1999,the station changed to WLCR (EWTN).Later on WLCR moved to 1040 in Mt. Washington Ky. and 1470 went dark and is still silent to this day.

3. I’ve heard there was an issue with a radio station license being issued to essentially a military base.

A community was created around Ft Knox. Someone took advantage of this “community” and pursued a license. When the military found out they protested. The compromise was a disclaimer that was included with the legal ID, “Not affiliated with any government agency”.

4. In 1955, my husband played live music on WSAC on Ft. Knox and WIEL in Elizabethtown. I am trying to find out if anyone has any recordings from then.

5. from 1970 to about 1975 wsac ft knox was the best radio station in the country and the most progressive,, they introduced me to hatfield in the north ,gentle giant ,springsteen genisis, kevin ayres ,roxy music eno, velvet underground, the commercials were read by the announcers,, they played so many cuts in a row that they would turn the level down long enough to do the legally required fcc i d and then back to the music. when jim morrison died that night all that was played was the doors ,all night..now classic rock stations play the same 3 songs by an artist and call it classic rock, clear channel owns a gazillion fm stations and broadcast their artist and screaming commercials, the content is unadulterated garbage

• I was in junior high/high school during this time period. I learned about so many different groups from this radio station. I am still trying to find out about a song/group from this time period with no luck. The words that I remember were as follow: “You, are the color blue, when I look at you, in the magic pool. I, love the color blue, when I look at you in the magic pool.” It really had some great guitar with a guitar wha wha ending. Do you recall this song?

6. WOW! While stationed at Fort Knox, I read the Sports, and ran the board for The Cinn. Reds Baseball games. WSAC was a great station. I had a complete blast! If I remember right the PD at the station was a Tad Murray. WeServeArmorCenter. WSAC gave me the experience to move to KSBK, in Okinawa. I’ve always appreciated WSAC for giving me a break. Thanks for the post!

7. I too remember WSAC , Kevin Cohen was the DJ in the evening that played some of the most fantastic music available. You could listen for hours and not hear something you were familiar with, but unlike other radio stations he played real music, he did not follow the “rules” familiarity and repetition. I used to keep a spiral notebook to write down the artist so I could purchase the albums for my collection. I would give every dollar I have for a copy of his playlist.

8. Anyone happen to have the image of the Eagle logo giving the peace sign with Radio Free Fort Knox on it? Was in underground newspaper ads and promo posters. “Music That Stones” Ah, the early 70s.

9. I grew up in Radcliff. It is right next to Ft Knox and was the home of WSAC . They added an FM . I forget the calls but think the frequency was 105.5 which was later moved , changed and is now 103.5 the revamped WAKY licensed to Radcliff . I enjoy the nostalgic sounding jocks .

10. The Fm was WWKK

11. omigosh. on a whim, i started looking for a radio station i used to listen to when i was a teen living in Louisville. i Googled “Ft. Knox radio stations” and found this thread.

i used to search the radio at night after my parents thought i was sleeping, and because i was taking Spanish classes, i used to listen to “Radio Liberacion” on WSAC, “desde La Habana, Cuba.” it was all Spanish and they spoke too fast for me to understand, and i didn’t know the politics of the day, only that Castro was in charge. this was probably late 1960’s. sometimes i couldn’t get the station to come in very strong if the weather was bad, but it also played some of the best music i’d ever heard. i heard selections from Bonnie Raitt’s album “Give It Up” that moved me so much and i went out of my way to find that album. i heard lots of music there i never heard on the top 40 stations. this was before FM.

at the end of the broadcast day, they played a song they never introduced and many years later, once the internet was born, i finally learned that the main song was “I Bid You Goodnight” but i could never find the right artist. it was not Joseph Spence. it had a Reggae feel and i always thought it might be Bob Marley. i finally found out tonight it was “A Very Cellular Song” by the Incredible String Band (from Scotland). according to Wikipedia, “the song is a 13-minute reflection on life, love, and amoebas, whose complex structure incorporates a Bahamian spiritual (‘I Bid You Goodnight,’ originally recorded by the Pinder Family).” you can hear it on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/cJfV-a24TOY

btw, i went to high school with Tom Prestigiacomo…small world

12. I worked at WSAC on weekends: game nights and when Kevin wasn’t feelin up to it. I worked the Sunday morning shift with recorded local church programs from 6:00am to 10:00am, then I would go on air and opened with Pink Floyd’s Animals. I think it was in 1977. The Fort Knox enlisted club was just being opened up when I decided it was not the career for me, but I really enjoyed the learning experience. My air name was Carrie Stoner. Give a shout if any of this rings a bell =)

13. I am older than you. But I worked at WSAC as a disc jockey in 1961. I was the “morning man”, playing Doris Day and Frank Sinatra. Happy memories!

14. The song you reference is called “You,I” by the Rugbys. It peaked at #24 on the Billboard Hot 100 in summer 1969. A great lost 45!