104.5 CHUM-FM / Toronto

Gord Johnson, The “Sunday Funnies”; CHUM-FM Toronto | October 4, 1987

For those of you familiar with AOR FM radio in the late 70s and 80s, remember how when most other commercial radio stations were broadcasting either church services or some other public affairs programming to fulfill the governments public service requirements? Many Album Rock stations took this opportunity to run the truly bizzare or fun shows of the day. Shows like Dr. Demento… even music shows and album rock specials. Sunday mornings and evenings after 7pm were filled with some of the most memorable shows. This is no exception.

Gord Johnson is your host for the Sunday Funnies. This aired Sunday evenings, followed by some Old-Time-Radio feature of police stories. Very entertaining indeed.

This was how many AOR stations did things back then. The real serious public affairs programs usually ran after 9pm, typically between 10pm and midnight. This should bring back some pleasant memories!

Courtesy of Contributor Frank Davis…

1. Nice aircheck. Ingrid Schumacher is still at CHUM-FM doing middays. A great CITY-TV ad too cross-promoting the sister TV station. It’s too bad they didn’t get long time CITY-TV voice the late Mark Dailey to do the ad. The cool thing about the Sunday Funnies is that it ran for several years before and after this aircheck was recorded. I think this show ended after Rick Hodge left the station in 2008. It was a Sunday tradition in Toronto.

2. This program is very funny! The comedy bits about radio are classics.

3. Holy crap this is Great!!!!! I have a box of tapes of old Sunday night funnies shows. I was 14 when this one aired. Wow. What an amazing trip down memory lane. The music bumpers make me feel like I’m a kid staying up too late. ThankYou!!! Do you have more?

4. Do you still have the download of A Christmas Carol or do you know who originally did it? Listening to this was my childhood and I’m looking to see if I can find a copy.

• Hi Kim, Not sure if you’ll still get this message as I’m replying from the previous year – I moved and likely didn’t get your message, originally.

If you’re still looking for a copy of A Christmas Carol I have it and can send it or post to Dropbox for you.

I loved it as a kid, as well. I’ve searched everywhere trying to figure out who originally produced it, but no luck.

I still listen to it and got my own kids into it. Looking forward to digging it out again this year.

Cheers…
      Jay

5. That end music at 45:00… wow. Its burned into my brain. I spent many a Sunday night hearing that, then theatre of the mind starting. Was kind of stressful to hear the show end and not be alseep, school in the morning. It’s more than 25 years later, married, 3 kids.. Still up too late. I really need to digitize my tapes.

Ps this show should have a “the Sunday funnies” tag to link with the other show.

6. Does anyone what the Sunday Funnies music was near the start of this aircheck?

7. ‘Hideaway’ by David Sanborn

• Oh wow I just saw this. Thank you! Wow Gord Johnson. Cool! What a great show this was. I STILL need to digitize my tapes. Ill post here when I do.