1440 WQOK / Greenville SC

Greg Taylor, 1440 WQOK Greenville SC | 1977

There is a page dedicated to “A 25 Year Legend!”. Indeed, WQOK was a high rated Top 40 station, branded “Musicradio” during much of the late 70s, the “Super Q” during some years… no matter what the branding, WQOK was the favorite of many from the early 60s through the end of the 70s and into the 80s!

We’re featuring Greg Taylor, recorded sometime during 1977. Listen to the high energy! AM Rock stations probably didn’t get much better than this and the energy level on most AMs peaked from 1976-1979 before the formats crashed and burned and moved over to FM.

Another, courtesy of Contributor Robyn Watts!

1440 AM Greenvile SC WQOK Musicradio Super Q Russ Cassel  Lee Alexander Dave Welchel Dr. John Brian Porter Wes Shely Jay Weekend Michaels Steve Chris Lee Nolan Dave Depish in the Morning Gary Jackson Bill Walker Don Pearson Chris Scott

1. This is awesome.I grew up listening to WQOK like many folks who grew up in Upstate SC,and 3 years ago I even started a group on Facebook in it’s memory.I have heard many an aircheck in recent years from the 60’s courtesy of WQOK legend Ted “Teddy Vee” Vigodsky,but this is the first one I have heard from my era,the 70’s,in many years. Thanks!

2. I am researching Rev. N.P. Chapman. He was a notable minister at Linclon Street Baptist Church in Greenviile, SC during the late 40’s until early 50’s. His business card indicated that he broadcasted every Sunday on WQOK from 10:30 to 12. Do you have any information on Rev. Chapman?

3. The podcast doesn’t play on my phone….so sad. I grew up listening to The Q in all forms until it closed its doors. It was awesome

4. Miss our old WQOK

5. Loved WQOK. Loved the music. Was sad when it went off the air. The Berea Community lost a treasure.

6. I had the pleasure of working for QOK at the very end, 80-82.
    What fun. Great memories.

Brother Bill
    Hendersonville, NC

7. I worked for WQOK from 1972 to 1982. It was a GREAT Radio Station. Kirby Stevens, Steve Chris, Lee Alexander, Bo “The weekend leader” Sanders, Dave Tolley, Dr. John Leader,Brother Bill, Suffey Smith and Lee Nolin. T.C. Hooper owned the station and he has passed away. Lisa Rollens and Russ Cassell (passed) also worked for THE “Q” .
    The Big Q is what radio was all about before computers. Live shows, fun and exciting to listen too. Thanks to all the LISTENERS. Keep the memories and enjoy life.

Jay “WEEKEND’ MICHAELS

8. I grew up in Berea, not far from the station, and its towers were part of our landscape. WQOK was always a constant in my life from the late 50’s through the early 70’s. While cruising around Greenville or doing homework, I listened every night until it signed off the air with Bill Pursell’s ‘Our Winter Love’. Sometimes we’d visit the station and they would invite us in to the watch the D.J.
    From Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Sam Cook, Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, on to Motown and Rock—we received an education in the history of music from WQOK. I am so ever grateful for the memories, the music, and the history that will always be with me.

9. I miss the past in so many ways… WQOK is one icon I had as a teenager in the 70s. From about 1975 – 79 was my ‘QOK time frame. Then I switched to FM WANS 107.6 (I think). Never really remembered WANS like I did WQOK. Lee Alexander was the DJ I remember most. And I also remember Russ Casell (not sure of the spelling). I know Lee would DJ at the skating rink in Berea on White Horse Road. Cool guy.
    Well enough tromping down memory lane…
    RW