Gary McKee, 790 WQXI Atlanta | 1974-1976

Now, as promised, Morning guru Gary McKee on 79 WQXI! This comes to us courtesy of new Contributor Lewis Cosby. Lewis is the President and GM of WMAK TV 7 Knoxville and was kind enough to send us a couple of CD’s worth of the legendary morning man himself.

Apologies to all for the delay, we had an FTP problem with our server that prohibited us from uploading for a few days.

WQXI Atlanta

1. Gee, the McKee show wasn’t funny then, and still isn’t. But thanks for giving us this as it does have some nostalgia value.

2. Great to hear Gary and Willis again. It brought back a lot of terrific memories!

3. we ( my wife and I ) loved Garro! Miss hearing his voice on the air. I enjoyed all of his shows, including the talk show.

4. Gary was the best part of so many of my high school days.
    THANKS so much for starting my day out with smiles and laughter.
    Lingered in my car in the parking lot at school til the last minute to soak up as much as possible. THANKS for the memories!!

5. Aah– Remembering the countless hours spent listening to “The Home-Town Radio Show” on (News/Talk Radio AM-750, WSB)in the early 90’s….. It’s very interesting to hear McKee from years before. Also interesting, is the fact that his sense o’ humor/persona changed little-to-none (cheesy, simple, STUPID bits of “humor” [Billy Graham = Billy Graham CRACKER]….. Redicuously FORCED/FAKE laughter…..)

6. Thanks so much for sharing these bits from Gary McKee . . . much more refreshing than DJs today screaming about politics. Gary and his crew pretty much made fun of everyone, including themselves. I remember me, my friends and co-workers rehashing their comedy bits and having a second giggle of the day. Thanks again for the escapism back to the 70s.

7. Gary’s morning show was an important part of my day from 1978 to the mid 80’s. I remember his silly sayings, “I’m too tan, too tall and too good looking”, and “I have money in every pocket, if I had more pockets, I’d have more money”, and also “I’m talking through this cardboard tube to sound important”.

8. Good ole Gar is legendary. He was always so damn easy to listen to and he and Willis made me laugh all the way to work. Oh, how I miss Gary McKee on QXI!!! It was the best morning drive on the planet. I hope he is well and enjoying retirement and it was sad to hear of Willis passing recently.

9. I wish somebody had some of his later shows with Yetta Levitt. They were much better! These clips make it sound like Willis was the star of the show.

This was great to listen to! It sounds as fresh today as they were then! He is still the best morning man ever.

I’ve taken some of these clips and added music from the period back in. It sounds just like his show. If you’d like a copy just leave a comment here and I’ll get in touch. (I’m not selling them but would be happy to send).

I wish I could find my old cassette tapes because I recorded many hours of Garro in the late 70s-early 80s with Yetta.

10. WELL i AM LAUGHING MY ASS OFF