1300 WAVZ / New Haven CT

Composite: 1300 WAVZ New Haven | July, 1974

There’s very little WE can say that conveys the excitement generated by 13 Waves during it’s heyday of the mid-late 1970s. Some of the best and brightest broadcasters in Southern New England graced the air on WAVZ – and a few of them have posted comments about this recording below.

If you read the comments before listening, do yourself a favor now, and see why this AM station OWNED the New Haven market, at a time when AM stations were already in steep decline as music stations. Oh, if this had been put on the sister FM station, we’d be listening to 101 Waves instead of KC 101… but would that have been such a bad thing? We can only dream, I suppose.

This recording is a bit choppy. It came to us that way from the skimmer. Featured on this composite: Mike Dean, Bill Rock, Ron Foster, Brian Phoenix, more…

wavz2.jpg

This aircheck was one of the original recordings sent in by longitme contributor Andy Bologovski. In our last site upgrade that credit somehow fell by the wayside. Our humble apologies. Andy has his own page (which I need to update) here on airchexx which you can access by clicking HERE.

Also, sample this WAVZ aircheck from 1973…

And, recording of John E Walker on 13 WAVZ from December ’75!

1. HI ANDY AND STEVE…THANKS FOR PUTTING THAT 15/FIF AIRCHECK UP THERE.BROUGHT BACK SOME CRAZY RADIO MEMORIES….NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD EVER HEAR IT AGAIN.AS I SAID EARLIER I NEVER AIRCHECKED AT FIF…I NOTIFIED RANDY WEST THAT ITS ON AIRCHEXX…THANKS AGAIN GUYS…GNARLY/SMOKIN/TRUCKIN…PS.MEMORIAL DAY IDEA SOUNDS GREAT……….MAKE WAVES AND WRITE IT DOWN………

2. HEY GUYS……HAVENT SEEN ANY POSTINGS LATELY……IS ANYBODY OUT THERE?????.HEARD SOME DISTURBING NEWS THAT PETE SALANT IS OUT AT CHEAP CHANNEL…SORRY FOR PETE AND SORRY ABOUT WHAT RADIO HAS BECOME EVERYWHERE…

• Unfortunately the news about Pete and CC is true. His contract was not renewed. I spoke to Pete awhile back, and he’s involved in other projects outside of radio. Is there anything going on with the online launch of WAVZ internet radio?

3. Smokin’ — how goes it??

Was just thinking about the 20-year anniversary you guys all did at KC101 back in July of ’99 — 10 years ago this month! What a blast that was to hear (I didn’t hear it live — but Pete Salant used to have it on his website or somewhere on the net). GREAT stuff!!

Glad to see you’re still rockin’ the Coast!

I started a WWCO/Waterbury group on Facebook and Doc Holiday, Danny Lyons, Stef Rybak and some other names you might know are there.

Hope life is treating you well.

Peace.

• HI MIKE..GREAT HEARING FROM YOU AGAIN….I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT OUR KC101 TWENTY YEAR REUNION TEN YEARS AGO THIS WEEK,WE DID IT THE SAME WEEKEND JFK JUNIOR DIED AND WOODSTOCK WAS CELEBRATING THEIR 30TH REUNION THAT WEEKEND AS WELL..I HAD THE ENTIRE WEEKEND ON CDs WHICH UNFORTUNATELY SOMEHOW ARE NOW BLANK..I NEVER KNEW CDs COULD OXIDIZE….YOU MAY WANT TO GET IN TOUCH WITH MY BUDDY MATT AT BIG APPLE AIRCHECKS…I BELIEVE HE HAS COPIES,HE HAS EVERYTHING. AS I HAVE MENTIONED IN PREVIOUS POSTS THAT JULY WEEKEND IN 1999 WAS THE BEST TIME EVER WITH THE ORIGINAL JOCKS FROM 1979 AND LOTS OF OTHER LONG LOST RADIO FRIENDS.I HAVENT BEEN BACK TO CT. SINCE THAT WEEKEND AND WAS HOPING WE WOULD DO A 30TH THIS SUMMER BUT UNFORTUNATELY IT ISNT HAPPENING.WHO KNOWS, MAYBE WE CAN DO A 40th??????TAKE CARE DUDE,KEEP IN TOUCH……GNARLY/SMOKIN…..MAKE WAVES AND WRITE IT DOWN……………………..

• Willie B. Goode is a God of the NYC late night air waves………..

• Willie ZB Goode .when he worked at PLJ was the fucking best……………always will be………..him and Peter Bush , lit up late night in NYC like no one would believe……………..Wiilie would put on his favorite callers and let them express every feeling feling they ever had……..I forgot the douchebag boss,Willie……………but we know who he is…………that PD trainwreck…………Willie…living in NJ,happily married to my wife Loretta……..2 kids………..adorable girls…..they look like Party Marty kids……….call me Willie……….917-715 2180……….thats my number Willie you can always get me there…if not……call my wife,Loretta………917 922 1565…………leave a message if you have to……….MR.Willie B. Goode was an inspiration in my life…..I was a reg caller at PLJ and Willie treated me with the utmost respect,as did Bush…….but always had a fondness for that gravely voiced guy saying,”HEY,PARTY MARTY…….WHERE ARE WE PARTYING”? Wilie is a gentleman and always will be…….a true professional……….He had thousands of listeners at 95 at the we hours of the morn,I’d like to take a bit of credit for that……seeing I had a huge crowd of assholes from Staten Island listening for Willie and Party Marty raps…………those were the good old days……..Willie,I’m 40…………the party still goes on,just on a lower scale……would love to hear from you………..for anyone who has any idea about how a radio personality should do his fucking job…………..Willie B. Goode is the best………….when they say radio…………..you say and I do……THAT HE BROKE THE FUCKING MOLD…………. until then,Willie………be well…Happy New Year……….Marty

4. HI PARTY MARTY….DUDE I REMEMBER THOSE SMOKIN PARTY RAPS WE DID AT PLJ LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY.IM SURE I HAVE SOME ON OLD AIRCHECKS.GLAD YOU ARE DOING WELL BRO.YOU ARE FREEKIN 40????? NOT POSSIBLE…LAST I KNEW YOU WERE 16 AT TOTTENVILLE HIGH AND I DO MEAN HIGH…..I AM GNARLY CHARLIE AT 97.3 THE COAST IN MIAMI PLAYING THE SAME SMOKIN 80s THAT I DID AT PLJ. I HAVE BEEN IN SOUTH FLORIDA SINCE 1989.I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL 18 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER ALANNAH (NAMED AFTER ALANNAH CURRIE) WHO IS A FRESHMAN AT F.I.U. I AM STILL HAVING FUN ON THE RADIO..LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU ARE LISTENING AND I WILL GIVE YOU A SHOUT…..HAPPY NEW YEAR PARTY MARTY AND THANKS FOR REMEMBERING THE SMOKIN GOOD TIMES…GNARLY/SMOKIN…….LAST I HEARD PETER BUSH WAS DOING WELL IN CT…..

5. I’m feeling very nostalgic and wanted to let you all know how comforting it is to visit this site and learn how all of you great New Haven / area DJ’s are doing! I’m also adding to this blog to see if any of you have any (fond?) memories of my dad, Lee Manson, from the ‘60’/early 70’s at WAVZ / or even earlier at WELI, or even further back to the beginning of the WNHC days! We’ll be celebrating dad’s 93rd birthday June 19th, 2010. We’re very blessed that he is still with us and it means a great deal to me and my family that he shares fabulous robust stories of his 50+ years in radio, you are all a big part of that history.

Cheers and best wishes to you all! Best Regards – JoAnne M.

6. Hi Steve..Love the new look of Airchexx.Looks really slick dude…Gnarly/Smokin…..

7. I will always love willie b. goode.
    I use to call him at WPLJ in the mid 80’s..and go on the radio with him at age 16!! It was so much fun..great memories, of me and candee fresh!!
    I even became a d.j. because of him!

Love you willie…alwyas and forever!

Donna D. from Bensonhurst,Brooklyn

8. Hi Donna D. Its great to hear from awesome listeners like you,Candee Fresh and Party Marty 35 years later.WPLJ POWER 95 was an amazing radio station with the best staff and definitely the best listeners…I still have airchecks with a lot of our party raps.All on cassette and nothing to play em on.Thanks for the memories……Stay cool.GNARLY/SMOKIN….

9. Take two….The time period I was referring to was Mid 80s which would make it more like 25 years ago..Dont want us to feel older than we are…Larry Berger had that station smokin……GNARLY/SMOKIN…..

10. Hey Smokin Willie B. Goode- I listened to you way back in the day at WFIF. You were great and I really enjoyed listening to you. Glad to hear you are still doing radio and I’m sure sounding just like you did over 30 years ago. Keep up the good work!!!!

11. Hi Carl.Thanks again for the kind words. I also saw your post on the FIF site.I still love having fun on the radio.You can catch me 4 times on the weekend on 97.3 The Coast in Miami on our Totally 80s Weekends.I do 2 afternoon and 2 late night shifts. Let me know when you are listening and I will give you a shout.Thanks dude.GNARLY/SMOKIN/TRUCKIN….

12. Actually KC101 is actually WAVZ on FM. The first book that the AM faltered the owners abandon beautiful music format and took the FM CHR as KC101 and WAVZ moved to standards.

13. Hi Franco –

You are right! I’ve gotta have it somewhere!

Make WAVZ!

14. Update on our Dad. Lee Manson. He is now 95 years old and sadly, lies in a bed at CT Hospice in Branford, CT after major surgery earlier this month. He continued to speak fondly of his days at WAVZ and has always been very proud of you guys. Thank you for contributing to his life, and you should know that he is very grateful to have shared time with all of you.

Brian Mancinelli

15. Brian, I was sad to read of your father’s passing. A day or so later, we lost our friend Curt Hansen, one of the earlier posters here and retired OM/PD of WEBE108/WICC and KC101/WAVZ after I left.

Condolences to you and your family.

Pete Salant