Dancin’ Danny Wright, 104.3 KEBQ Kansas City

Who knew Danny Wright was such a hot CHR jock! Here’s a GREAT composite of a weekday featuring Dancin’ Danny Wright on Q104.3 Kansas City.

Here’s the best of the decade of big hair and fantastic jingles, courtesy of new contributor Dave Erwin!

1043kbeq

Your task, as listeners, is to identify:

1. The jingles. Company and package.
2. Who was the program director?
3. What was the studio street address
4. (most important) – what is the exact date of this aircheck?

We await your answers below. 🙂

1. The date is January 15, 1985
    -Jay Philpott

• I have to correct the date: it’s January 14, 1985…100% sure.

2. Reminds me of the Danny Wright in Cleveland. When was this Danny Wright at WEBE?

• He was not. My fault entirely, as I was looking at a Danny Lyons aircheck when I posted that. Sheesh. I’m too young to loose my mind already!

3. That Jingle Is No Other But The Q104 Customized Version Of The Infamous Hot KIIS Jingle Package From JAM Creative Productions, Incoporated.

4. Here, let me take a crack at this:

1): JAM’s “Hot KIIS” package
    2): Pat McKay (Arrived by the Fall of 1984, left in August, 1985).
    3): The Country Club Plaza Hotel (now the Marriott Plaza Hotel, I believe), Kansas City, MO.
    4): Can’t give an exact date, but judging by the music and the weather forecast, I would say January or early February, 1985. Dancin’ Danny Wright came to KBEQ from WRQX/Washington, DC in September, 1984 and left for WGCL/Cleveland, OH in February, 1985.

Robyn

5. Update: Here is the address of KBEQ when the studios were at The Plaza.

KBEQ
    Plaza Studios
    4710 Pennsylvania Ave.
    Kansas City, MO 64112

The station was owned by Capital Broadcasting at this point.

Robyn

6. I worked with Danny in Sacramento at KROY, he had just left KCBQ at that point. I know from there he went to Portland and then Seattle at 95 KJR. Cleveland must have been after this. Danny didn’t do his Country show until much later. Danny is a great personality and last I heard was doing a 2nd syndicated Country show.

7. I’d say Jay Philpott is on the money for the date — Danny mentions a ticket give away to see the KC Kings play the Washington Bullets. That game was on January 19, 1985. The Kings won the game 103-98. The Kings split KC after the season and moved to their present home in Sacramento.

• The date was January 14th, 1985 – not the 19th.

Listen at the 3:09 mark as DDW draws a winner for “tomorrow night’s” KC Kings/Cleveland Cavaliers game (that game was played on 1-15-85; the Cavs won 116-112). He references the upcoming Saturday night game vs Washington at the 5:21 mark in a liner for a different promotion with Macy’s.

**corrected version for CAVS win**

8. Oh so that was the same Danny Wright. I heard Danny for the first time when I was visiting the Cleveland area on spring break (don’t ask). I had no idea he was so knew to the area. Anyway, wonder why they played Born To Run and another older record (I can’t remember the other “oldie”)

• KBEQ was well known in the industry at the time for playing older hits from the 70s and 80s (and in some cases, even the late 60s!) in regular rotation. This policy was phased out by the early 90s, but it did made them stand out in an era when most major-market CHRs were current-based.

Robyn

9. So Who Sung The Dancin’ Danny Wright Theme Song? Vaughn B.

10. Hi Vaughn – I just stumbled across this site for the first time. The theme song was done by The Skatt Brothers. They had a hit called “Dancin’ For the Man” and they re-did it for me after a long night of hangin’ with the band. And I used it for many years.

DW
    Seattle WA

11. Wow! Thanks Mr. Wright! – Vaughn B.