1170 KCBQ / Bobby Ocean / San Diego

Bobby Ocean, 1170 KCBQ San Diego | May 26, 1971

Courtesy of Big Apple Airchecks - Thanks!A bit of light processing returns this performance of the Bobby Ocean show on KCBQ to life!

This is fairly early in Bobby Ocean’s career, before he went on to stardom at KFRC San Francisco, and all the talent is there. So is the voice that imaged numerous stations in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Runs about 10 minutes scoped.

1170 KCBQ San Diego

1. There’s a funny story about how I finally got this aircheck…Thirty one, yes THIRTY ONE years ago when I met Batt Johnson at WNBC, he told me that he had this Bobby Ocean aircheck at KCBQ, and would I like it? Of course I said yes…the years go by, Batt and I remain friends, but no aircheck. Last November, I’m talking to Batt, and he says “guess what? Remember that Bobby Ocean aircheck I promised you? I found it in an old suitcase, and I’ll mail it to you.” WooHoo! It took him another month to mail it, but it finally arrived, and the sound was great! So thanks Batt for keeping a long held promise!

2. Bobby Ocean is the coolest sounding disc jockey in the history of the medium. “As incredible as it may seem”, it’s true!

3. As one who enjoyed working with Bobby Ocean at both KCBQ and KFRC, I can’t tell you what a joy it was to hear this aircheck.

I particularly liked the “KCBQ plays less commercials” drops, which featured the voices of little kids, at least one station engineer and others.

Ocean was at the top of his form from this period forward and his form is very good, indeed.

Thanks for posting this.

4. I don’t think Tom Kent ever worked at KCBQ. He almost worked at KHJ, but didn’t go !

5. Some of the descriptions, Tom Kent was unknown when Buzz came up
    with the Keep on Trucking contest. It was based on Trucking by
    the Grateful Dead which was a hit in San Diego. Tom Kent likely
    heard all this and changed his name and no he never worked at
    KHJ either.

• Tom Kent wasn’t just unknown…he was a high school freshman in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in May, 1971. He didn’t start using “Truckin'” in his name until 1974. It probably had way more to do with the Dead song than Buzz Bennett.

The KHJ thing actually went like this: When Charlie Van Dyke fired Billy Pearl as the night jock in the summer of 1975, his choice to replace him was Tom Kent. But CVD was overruled by RKO national PD Paul Drew, who picked John Leader. Kent never got the offer.

6. commenter William R. Hatch was indeed one of the better w. coast top-40 newsmen from those heyday years…we liked his work at KISN in Portland too…

7. Just in case there was ever Any DOUBT
    as to what MAJOR MARKET means !!

8. wanted to hear the entire long version of born on bayou. lol

9. On some of the shotgun jingles, it sounded like they were saying “WKCBQ”. Bob “Wizard” Wayne (deceased), who was from my home county was at KCBQ in the ’60s.